In computers, a printer driver or a print processor is a piece of software on a computer that converts the data to be printed to a format that a printer can understand. The purpose of printer drivers is to allow applications to do printing without being aware of the technical details of each printer model.
- 1 How do I find my printer driver?
- 2 How do I fix the driver on my printer?
- 3 What does it mean when a driver is unavailable for a printer?
- 4 Do all printers need drivers?
- 5 What is a driver on a computer?
- 6 How do I update drivers?
- 7 What to do when it says driver is unavailable?
- 8 How do I update my printer driver?
- 9 Does Windows 10 install drivers automatically?
- 10 How do I install a printer driver in Windows 10?
- 11 Why is my HP printer driver not installing?
- 12 Can you print without drivers?
- 13 Why does my printer need a driver?
- 14 Do wireless printers require drivers?
How do I find my printer driver?
If you do not have the disc, you can usually locate the drivers on the manufacturer’s website. Printer drivers are often found under “downloads” or “drivers” on your printer’s manufacturer website. Download the driver and then double click to run the driver file.
How do I fix the driver on my printer?
What to Do to Fix the Printer Driver Is Unavailable Error
- Run the Windows Update Tool. One reason why your Windows 10 computer may display the Printer Driver Is Unavailable error could be that you have an operating system that is out of date.
- Manually Update Your Printer Drivers.
- Automatically Update Your Printer Drivers.
The error “Printer driver is unavailable” means that the driver installed against your printer is either not compatible or is outdated. If the computer cannot recognize the driver or function with it, you will not be able to access your printer and use it to print jobs.
Do all printers need drivers?
Most printers require that you install the latest printer driver so that the printer will work well. If you recently upgraded from an earlier version of Windows, your printer driver might work with the previous version but might not work well or at all with Windows 10.
What is a driver on a computer?
A driver, or device driver, is a set of files that tells a piece of hardware how to function by communicating with a computer’s operating system. All pieces of hardware require a driver, from your internal computer components, such as your graphics card, to your external peripherals, like a printer.
How do I update drivers?
To check for any updates for your PC, including driver updates, follow these steps:
- Click the Start button on the Windows taskbar.
- Click the Settings icon (it’s a small gear)
- Select ‘Updates & Security,’ then click ‘Check for updates. ‘
If you are still getting the “Driver is unavailable” error, a missing or corrupted driver is the most probable reason behind the problem. Thus, uninstalling your current driver and installing a new printer driver instead should help you get rid of the error.
How do I update my printer driver?
How to update printer drivers
- Go to Control Panel.
- Click on ‘Hardware and Sound’
- Click on ‘Device Manager’ to show all of the connected hardware on your machine – look for the ‘Printers’ drop-down which will contain any relevant printers.
- Right click the printer you want to update the drivers on and click ‘Update driver’
Does Windows 10 install drivers automatically?
Windows 10 automatically downloads and installs drivers for your devices when you first connect them. Even though Microsoft has a vast amount of drivers in their catalog, they are not always the latest version, and many drivers for specific devices are not found. If necessary, you can also install the drivers yourself.
How do I install a printer driver in Windows 10?
To install a printer driver from scratch on Windows 10, use these steps:
- Open Settings.
- Click on Devices.
- Click on Printers & scanners.
- Click the Add a printer or scanner button.
- Click the The printer that I want isn’t listed option.
- Select the Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings option.
Why is my HP printer driver not installing?
Make sure your computer is turned on and connected to the Internet. Turn on the printer. Connect a USB cable to the USB port on the rear of the printer, and then to the computer. If a Found new hardware window displays, follow any prompts to install the driver, and then try to print.
Can you print without drivers?
Web PrintWeb Print enables printing from user-owned devices without the need to install printer drivers and manage server authentication. is a driver-less printing service that allows users to print by uploading documents from a web browser. No client software or driver installation is required.
Why does my printer need a driver?
The purpose of printer drivers is to allow applications to do printing without being aware of the technical details of each printer model. Printer drivers should not be confused with print spoolers, which queue print jobs and send them successively to a printer.
Do wireless printers require drivers?
A wireless printer is similar to a network printer, but instead of using a cable to connect, the printer connects via Wi-Fi. As with the network printer, a wireless printer will require you to install driver software on any computer you wish to have access to the printer.